So today I baked 24 eggs in preparation of egg dying with the kids, I followed the directions I found here . I set my oven to 325 degrees F as my oven tends to run slightly hot and the original instructions said to preheat your oven to 325-350. I put 24 eggs in a mini muffin pan, popped them in the preheated oven and set the timer for 30 mins.
Here are the eggs ready to go in the oven
While they were cooking I prepared an ice bath for them
I also made sure I had a place to put the muffin pan (to protect my countertop) and rubber tongs are for transferring the eggs to the ice bath. Any tongs would work but the rubber adds a bit more protection from slipping.
See the brown spots? These wash right off in the ice bath.
Transfer the eggs as fast as you can to the ice bath to stop the cooking process
After sitting in the ice bath for about 10 mins I removed them and placed them into the egg carton. Notice this only holds 18 eggs. We might have eaten 6 before I even got them into the fridge :)
I have noticed this on some of the eggs but not all. A brown spot where I suspect it was touching the muffin pan while cooking. They don't taste any different and I am trying to think of ways to avoid this. I wonder if silicon muffin cups might help protect them from getting these spots? It doesn't bother me enough to go back to boiling them. Another thing I have noticed is that I have not had a single cracked shell! When I boil eggs I always have at least one (usually more) eggshells crack. Which is really frustrating when dying, unless you want this effect .
The moment of truth. I sliced the first egg right down the middle. I think I could have pulled them out a couple of minutes earlier but they are pretty darn good if I say so myself! :)
So a basic run down of how to do this.
1. Preheat oven to 325 - 350 degrees F
2. Place eggs in mini muffin pan
3. Place eggs in oven
4. Bake for 30 mins
5. Remove and place immediately in ice bath for about 10 minutes
6. Peel and enjoy, or refrigerate
I am hoping to show pictures of our eggs dyed, we are going to try this method this year and hopefully it turns out!