Friday, April 13, 2012

Meyer Lemon Curd

Next week's TWD is Lemon Loaf Cake.  After reading some of the comments other bakers wrote about the loaf and it's flavour I decided that maybe I needed to kick it up a notch, flavourwise.  So I scoured my favourite baking books and found a recipe for Meyer Lemon Curd from Joy the Baker Cookbook.  This seemed like the perfect recipe to compliment the upcoming recipe for TWD.  I sent the hubs to Whole Foods to buy some Meyer Lemons and I got to cooking. 


Meyer lemons are thought to be a cross between lemons and mandarins, they are sweeter than lemons which makes them perfect for baking with in lemon desserts.  They have a lovely orange colour and smell delicious! 



This recipe was really quick to pull together, which is my favourite kind of recipe and it came out wonderfully. 

I have not yet figured out how to whisk/stir/pour while simultaneously taking pictures so I don't have a step by step photo progression to share.  Perhaps I need to invest in a tripod?  Anyway, trust me in that it is simple and the results are delicious!






Meyer Lemon Curd
makes about 1 cup

1/2 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice (from 2-3 lemons)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
Big pinch of salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter

Place a fine mesh strainer over a medium bowl.  Set aside for later.

In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk together lemon juice, sugar, eggs, yolk, and salt over medium-low heat.  Whisk and heat until egg yolks have thickened the mixture.  The mixture will go from smelling like citrus to smelling directly like lemon curd.

When thickened and fragrant, immediately remove from heat, and whisk in the butter.  Use a spatula to pour the warm curd into the strainer fit over the bowl.  Use a spatula to move the curd through the strainer, leaving any cooked egg bits in the strainer.  Pour strained curd into a small, airtight jar and refrigerate until chilled.  Serve over biscuits or toast.

Meyer Lemon Curd will last, in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.

If you don't own Joy the baker cookbook, I highly recommend investing in it.  It is a fun baking book with a different spin on some typical and not so typical dishes.  I love her creativity and can't wait to try more of her recipes!

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment